Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Minute longer...

... the second time in my life this song plays in my head as the runway approaches. Maybe if we stay in the air my move may not be as real as it is. But I wasn't in the cockpit so we did touch down!

It did feel good getting out of the air we all had been breathing for 14+ hours and stretch those long legs (don't even think it Leigh Scott, I am a woman with long legs, as much as you would like to think you are taller than me!). Walking down the airport reminded me of the Geico "Airport" commercial. I followed the signs that said "visitors" even though I am migrating. Will I ever call any country my own? Not quite sure yet????

I will give it to the Australian version of the INS, unlike the U.S Homeland Security (ooh I am scared) that even at 7am in the morning every desk had an immigration officer so even though the queue was long it didn't take much time until I found myself at the baggage carousel.

I anchored myself to a corner and awaited my bags each weighing more than 75 pounds. I had marked them with red and gold tags so I did spot them, but I wish I hadn't, they were bloody heavy and not a chivalrous man in sight. Seriously, I was told so much about aussie men, where the fuck are men when you need them? I managed somehow, damaging my already messed up back in the bargain. I begin to push the trolley and bam, all my bags are on the floor right in front of an officer. My request for help with the bags was instanly denied "the laws here do not allow us to touch passengers bags" I was told. Her statement made America under George Bush seem like Dalai Lama's Dharamsala to me. Oh well deeps you are on your own again! Just as I said that a dog came sniffing my bags, made me wonder if what Dr. Goldberg gave me was indeed ambien, did knock me out for most of the flight!

Oh Krsna, totally forgot about the stringent Australian quarantine laws. An officer asked me if I had anything to declare in my "very few" bags, should have said "my freedom", instead I volunteered "just gluten free crackers officer".

All my woes were dissolved instanly like alka seltzer in water as soon as I saw Naina, my gorgeous 11 month old (soon to be 1) niece.

1 comment:

GSH said...

Great post Deepa deep. I know some folks dot like pics of their children up on the web, but if you can, please post some of baby Naina. Much love and respect from cowtown Denver,
G