Friday, June 15, 2007

Lost without "Lost"

A few of you know exactly what I mean. The few whom I emailed my "Lost" woes to. When I left New York, I wasn't bothered at all by the fact that Australia is half a season behind us coz I was so used to downloading episodes on Itunes given the crazy producer life I led. Not bothered until I didn't see "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" listed under TV shows and thus began a fervent research into why the fuck was Itunes doing that to me and I found this:

What about video content for my iPod?

Unlike American iTunes users, Australians don't have access to Disney and Pixar movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Toy Story. US-based shows such as Channel Seven's Desperate Housewives and Lost are also missing. Video content is limited to short Pixar animations, music video clips, and video podcasts. As far as television is concerned, you can download clips from shows like The Chaser's War On Everything, Nerds FC and Rove Live by subscribing to their video podcasts.

Aye aye aye!
Without dragging out my TV woes I will tell you this - Deepa where there is a will there is way Joshi managed to download the season finale and much more AND on Itunes. It's a secret ; )

I have to say Australia isn't too advanced technologically. I am faced with having to settle for DSL since internet through cable option is only for home owners not renters in apartments. They have crazy plans that have download caps depending upon your internet usage and if you go over your planned usage the speed slows down to dial-up speed until the beginning of the new billing cycle. (not like paying Time Warner Cable a monthly fee and you have internet and it is mad fast) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

After many emails and calls to Optus I have been told that I should go for the 60GB plan given my video and audio downloads. So now I have pinned down the neighborhood I want to be in, the cellphone and internet plans I will subscribe to, cable TV through Foxtel. I just need money to pay for all this and that comes with a job.

The search is on but nothing yet. I am going out of my mind. I know I know. I should enjoy this while I can but I am a restless soul with crazy energy. So I have been running a lot, and man do I miss my park (Prospect Park), another necessity, an alien concept here I am finding out. There are tons of playgrounds, every bloody corner you turn, makes you wonder - well they certainly are fertile.

After many a days of exploring I have finally nailed down a good course, one that has some climb to it too and nice looking houses. I can't complain, its the one time of the day I get totally to myself. My outing for the day unless you count the occassional trips to the local growers market. And without fail the manager steps out of his alcove to flirt with me, even when I am at my worst, in my joggers and trainers. I think he has Italian blood in him. For now I am happy with my friends Pooh, Tigger, Roo, Piglet and Buster.

Let me leave you guys with this thought. I want to make money, I want to make money doing what I love, I want to make more money than I made in New York. Right! Wrong. If you are making between $75K-$125K you pay 42% in taxes. Fucking hell!

2 comments:

GSH said...

Oh....my...gawd!!! You cant get your favorite shows downunder?! How cruel and unusual....and just when I settle down, I read abouut those crazy weird DSL plans with download caps?....what the f%&k is up with that exactly? I like the Italian grower guy, though....maybe theres some richness, life texture to be had there, and in other new friendships and dialogues in Aussie-ville, huh? Much love, dear Deepa! :)
G

GSH said...

Hey, BTW, Deepa....you should find some interesting Aussie videos for us to share from Utube, Google video, Myspace etc! That'd be funny,

G