Sunday, May 13, 2007

Birthday 1- Soo Young Rocks Classical Music Hard


Miss Soo Young and I spent the afternoon and early evening together celebrating our birthdays as well as Mother's Day. What an amazing strong independent person and how lucky am I to have this friendship!!??


Over dinner, I collect my birthday contraband....I'm not all that fond of receiving surprises. [Long story, we can chat on this later] But it just goes to show how rich and right life can be when you let it unfold...


Over the table she passes me a pretty wrapped package. Its a CD, but I couldnt have known how beautiful and expansive both her intention and the music would be. Flowing, emanating and insistent string music....absolutely stunning. Reminds me so much of Michael Nyman and the seriousness of his modern classical perspective combined with the indie rock insistence and emotional nakedness in the poetry of Arcade Fire or maybe Band of Horses or Cat Power(?)...hard to convey fully.


The band's called The Rachel's. [the possessive apostrophe is kinda important as theres actually some dumb rock band from Texas named "The Rachels"] The album she gifted me is Systems/Layers. Basically, its serious classical music imbued with the urgency of indie rock and the dark emotionalism of gothic-inspired strings. At times it seems more like dark cabaret. All that darkness must be from their Kentucky upbringing. No shit, theyre really from Kentucky!Here's their myspace site:
http://www.myspace.com/rachelsqrewrqwerq


But to hear more than just their most recent album, here's the Amazon site:
http://www.amazon.com/Rachel

No comments: