Sunday, April 8, 2007

Third Law, Second Look

After lots of unplanned changes to our dinner logistics, I met up with Jason B, Deirdra and Cheryl at Royal Peacock in North Boulder--my favorite Indian joint in CO. Amazing food...gravy to die for (Indians, like Italians, call curries, masala, etc "gravy") and great specials that include exotic meats like Russian Boar

Without Lassen there I was the only common link between folks, so I did intros and pointed out common interests....travel and music, esp. Jason's interesting musical journey and his new opportunity to do a film score. As the food starts coming out, the conversation gets increasingly pre-verbal (grunts, moans, etc) and then as the entrees come to a climax the conversational regression hits a low point and becomes nonverbal altogether (head nods and wags, eye rolls, etc). Throughout, I can see out of the corner of my eye Shanti smoking cigs on the porch every 15 minutes or so. He's in a pretty quiet mood, or maybe I shouldve spent more time chatting with him when we arrived...I'm always surprised that he remembers me...

The snow has picked up momentum while we were eating...after a slippery drive to the Dairy Center, the Third Law dance performance was sorta underwhelming-- themes of immigration, love, lost and found memories, youth and aging, loss. Definitely some innovative movements and specific dance syntax...but overall a somewhat dull set of dances, inconsistent tone/polish. One major exception...The Box Dance!!! Amazing, even virtuoso, athleticism, humor and playfulness that didnt sacrafice the symbolism-- one's movement within the confines of life (love?fear? etc).
http://3rdlaw.org/

Late supper at The Med-- Soo Young joins and we make quite an eclectic and diverse group...I love that!!! Finance folks, creative folks, software & hardware engineers, PhD and musicians and dancers. Maybe theres hope for cowtown after all, huh? if such a group can spontaneously self-organize....Gigi, Dan, Deirdra, Cheryl, Jason, Jennifer. Much laughter, 2bottles of Rioja and empanadas and a pizza. Deirdra in particular strikes me as a person of note, whereas in our previous discussions (very fleeting and superficial, admittedly) that was not my feeling. Hmmmm...

While dropping off SY, I am pulled over and given the full DUI drill culminating in the dreaded breathylizer...all worked out in the end....seems I didnt drink all that much (2-3 glasses?) and the rest, well, my metabolism mustve taken care of...

No comments: